Hopefully, you caught it on our socials this week, but we are really pleased to announce that after a whole bunch of nominations, shortlisting and over 250 votes, our Charity of the Year for 2021 is Tiny Tickers!
Here is a little more about them, and the fantastic work they do:
Tiny Tickers is a small national charity that works to improve the chances of babies born with a serious heart condition. We want every baby with a serious heart condition to have the best chance of survival and quality of life. Founded in 1999 by world-renowned fetal cardiologist Dr Helena Gardiner, she realised many of the babies she was caring for could have been helped earlier.
One in every 125 babies is born with a heart problem but fewer than half of those are spotted during pregnancy. Over 1,000 newborns leave hospitals in the UK every year with no one realising they have a potentially life-threatening heart condition. Babies with undetected heart defects will often fall into the early stages of heart failure – significantly impacting their long-term quality of life. Some will die before anyone realises they have a poorly heart, or before getting the surgery that would save them.
What they do:
- Fund vital life-saving equipment – by placing pulse oximetry machines in maternity wards we aim to improve detection at birth.
- They are the sole provider of hospital-based fetal cardiac screening training for sonographers throughout the UK, thus enhancing the confidence and skills sonographers need to detect heart defects during routine pregnancy scans.
- They ensure the voice of parents and the needs of babies are heard by those setting standards in CHD services.
- They inform and empower parents-to-be about their 20-week scan and raise awareness of the five potential signs of undiagnosed CHD.
- They support families by complementing medical material with practical information and peer-to-peer advice; giving parents the information they need to navigate this challenging time.
If you want to know even more about them, you can by checking out their website > www.tinytickers.org
We are already dreaming in to different ways we can raise plenty of money for such a fantastic cause, so watch this space!
For most parents, choosing a nursery leaves them feeling worried about moving on to the next stage of their life. At Muddy Boots Nurseries, we provide early years childcare you can be completely confident in, knowing your child is thriving in a nursery you both love